Good old-fashioned sponge drops – they are quick to make, have few ingredients and are a great addition to a high tea. When they come out of the oven, the sponge drops are slightly crisp, but they lose the crispness when sandwiched together with whipped cream, so sandwich them together several hours before serving, so they soften up to a lovely spongy consistency.
RECIPE: SPONGE DROPS
Makes 24 individual drops, giving a dozen when sandwiched together with whipped cream
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
Chantilly Cream Filling:
200ml double cream
Several drops of vanilla essence
2/3rds teaspoon of caster sugar
- Beat the eggs, then add sugar gradually and beat until the mixture becomes very thick and pale.
- Double sift the flour and baking powder, so the baking powder mixes thoroughly and evenly. Fold flour into the egg mix, very gently, and folding in air as you go.
- Line a cold baking tray with baking paper (or grease a tray), and drop the mixture onto the tray (about a dessertspoonful – you can get 12 drops on a baking tray, if the drops are about 5cm in diameter).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius; watch the drops in the last few minutes of cooking to make sure they don’t brown.
- Sandwich sponge drops together with whipped cream several hours before serving to allow them to soften. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Along with the whipped cream filling try adding…
* Raspberry jam spread onto the sponge drops, or passionfruit pulp, which tastes spectacularly good – my recipe is here: https://www.inthekitchenwithmum.com/2015/03/preserved-passionfruit-pulp/
* Or make up a packet of raspberry jelly to packet instructions. Set the jelly in wet patty tins, covering the base with only a thin layer of jelly (about 3-4 mm). When set, turn them out and place in the middle of the sponge drop on top of the cream.
Posted by Admin on March 28th, 2016
Posted in Cakes and Cupcakes, Condiments, Jams and Jellies, and Sauces, Confectionery, Icings and Fillings
Tagged as: Chantilly Cream,high-tea,passionfruit pulp,raspberry jam,raspberry jelly,small cakes,sponge,Sponge Drops