Just thinking about this recipe makes my mouth water. The sugar and butter melding together in the oven, produces lovely gooey caramel edges around the dish.
Mum and I looked at several MasterChef recipes for crumbles but came up with our own version and we will certainly be making this many times during this feijoa season and every year after. We called this a crumble because it follows the crumble concept, but the topping is more like shortcake. This dish is very economic too as we picked up fallen feijoas from around the local area.
Serve this with maple syrup to add a subtle sweetness that tones down the sharp feijoa. You can serve this warm out of the oven, or at room temperature, but I prefer this served cold from the fridge. This is also great served with a sweet Pinot Gris wine!
As a suggestion try adding powdered ginger or crystallised ginger into the mix as well because feijoa and ginger flavours compliment each other beautifully.
RECIPE: FEIJOA, APPLE AND ALMOND CRUMBLE
500g feijoas, peeled and chopped
250g apples, peeled, cored, and diced
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
100g brown sugar
50g ground almond
20g plain flour
Sliced almonds (for sprinkling on top)
To serve: maple syrup and ice-cream.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, and then add feijoas, apples, sugar, and cinnamon. Cook on a medium heat, stirring, for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour cooked feijoa and apple mixture into a dish (ours was round and 18.5 cm diameter, and the dish needs to be at least 4-5 cm deep).
- For the topping: mix butter and sugar until combined, and then mix in dry ingredients.
- Just before the crumble goes into the oven, break up the topping mixture into small flat pieces and dot on the top. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with maple syrup and ice-cream.
WINE MATCH: Montana New Zealand, East Coast, Pinot Gris, 2014.
Feijoa and Apple Crumble by Simon Gault, (MasterChef New Zealand Judge)
And a crumble topping recipe by Josh Emett (MasterChef New Zealand Judge)
Mum and I used these as references only and changed elements of both these recipes for our own special version.