Fettuccine with Asparagus and Pine Nuts
This is a lovely simple vegetarian pasta dinner which makes use of spring-time asparagus. Since asparagus has such a short season I like to pile it into as many dishes as possible, especially the first-of-the-season asparagus, which is juicy and tender. This dish was so super-tasty, I could quite happily have this for dinner night after night. The meal was quick to prepare and the only cooking equipment needed is a pot and a frying pan.
FETTUCCINE WITH ASPARAGUS AND PINE NUTS
Vegetarian | Serves 2
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
½ lemon, finely grated zest and juice
250g asparagus, trimmed, sliced
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated – plus extra to serve
¼ cup flat-leafed parsley, coarsely chopped – plus extra to serve
2 tablespoons of pine nuts, toasted – to serve
- Boil the pasta in a pot of salted water according to packet instructions.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add finely chopped garlic and gently fry for 1 minute. Add the cream, lemon zest and lemon juice and bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the final 4 minutes of cooking the pasta, add the asparagus (it should be cooked so it holds its shape and is not too soft, or it will fall apart).
- Drain the pasta and the asparagus, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water. Return pasta and asparagus to the pot and stir in the lemon-cream sauce, along with the parmesan and parsley, adding enough cooking water to loosen.
- Serve sprinkled with pine nuts and extra flat-leafed parsley and parmesan cheese.
Posted by Admin on November 7th, 2014
Posted in Main Meals, Pasta
Tagged as: asparagus,cream,fettuccine,parmesan cheese,pasta,pine nuts,quick meals,recipe,seasonal cooking,seasonal vegetables,seasons,spring,spring vegetables,vegetables,vegetarian