The Best Tofu Patties
This is my absolute all-time-favourite vegetarian recipe, which I have made many many times, (and even make these patties as part of my Christmas dinner to go with roast vegetables.) Many people see tofu as either a bland food that doesn’t appeal at all, or they don’t know what to do with it, but this recipe solves those little problems and turns a chunk of tofu into a tasty meal.
I like to keep left-over tofu patties in the fridge to snack on because they are also extremely moreish when cold, and they make a very fine filling for sandwiches with lettuce and mayonnaise.
A few tips about this recipe:
- Use a firm-style tofu.
- Use nutritional yeast (also known as Brewers’ yeast), not the yeast used for baking.
- Instead of using sherry in the recipe, you can replace it with lemon juice and water.
- To keep the ingredients bound together, chop the onions and garlic very finely, and give the sunflower seeds a bit of a chop too, so they are at least chopped in half.
- Instead of making the mixture into flat pattie / burger shapes, try rolling the mixture into balls to use as a replacement for meatballs.
- These patties make a tasty filling for burgers/sandwiches with lettuce and other vegetables.
- Leftover patties can be frozen.
RECIPE: TOFU PATTIES
Vegetarian | Makes about 10-12 patties.
1 medium-sized onion
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 small teaspoon of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon sherry
(or substitute with 1 dessertspoon lemon juice and 1 dessertspoon of water)
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
¼ cup wholemeal flour (or plain white flour)
Oil, for frying
Extra flour, to coat patties
- Wash the tofu, then drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Crumble the tofu into a bowl – make sure there are no large pieces.
- Dice the onion and garlic very finely, and add to the crumbled tofu.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the flour), and mix together.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture (to distribute it evenly), and mix all ingredients together well.
- Working with wet hands, shape a portion of the mixture into an approximately 7cm pattie. Flour both sides of the pattie, then fry for 5 minutes per side or until golden brown.